Friday, August 31, 2012

No Pouting, No Doubting



So, I was “stalking” on Facebook a few weeks ago and I saw that a Facebook friend and gradeschool buddy had “friended” a mutual classmate from my beloved St. Michael's School.   So I did what most probably do (or maybe it’s just me) I checked out her profile and pictures.  The prevalent color on her page was “pink” and one of her profile pictures was a stick figure girl that had a very curious caption that said, “No Pouting, No Doubting”. Click here to see it.  Well maybe it wasn’t so curious.  I knew exactly what this meant; it meant that most likely my childhood friend was fighting breast cancer.
I have been struggling with writing this post for several weeks now because I want to do it justice.  I want to capture what she wants it to and to be honest, I’m not sure if I can do it but I’ll try.
So, I’m happy to say, after I pursued Jenny on facebook, she “friended” me.  I began to find out a little more  and even went to her blog at http://www.breastcancerbuttkickin.blogspot.com I learned a little more about her, her family and her struggle.  I learned that Jenny was diagnosed with breast cancer in May of 2009. But with a blessing of an army of friends, and angels surrounding her, a blog and many fundraisers were started for Jenny to help fight this battle.  You can tell by the title of the blog that she has warriors on her team! 
 We can only assume a fraction of what she felt at this time, I’m sure it was devastating. Jenny puts it best,

 “I have felt confident in my decisions. I have felt the hand of the Lord in my life and have no doubt that His Spirit has given me guidance. I am humbled by the love I have felt from Him, and the knowledge that He is mindful of little me. Nearly every morning there is temptation to fear, to be discouraged, but I choose not to listen to that voice. I am happier than I have ever been. And I know I will win this fight.”

Jenny is a fighter and proactive, so she began to lay out a plan of how she was going to fight this.  Unfortunately the first obstacle to overcome was getting a double mastectomy.  She was on the path the doctors had laid out for her, which included chemo and radiation. But after getting conflicting reports from doctors regarding her prognosis, with much prayer and with a blessing from her husband and support from her two children, Jenny decided to go the naturalistic route than the one initially prescribed (chemo/ radiation).  Jenny encourages everyone to micromanage their health care from the beginning to determine the right path for them.
For specifics of her prescribed care, I encourage you to take a look at her blog.

During the course of her treatment there have been some ups and downs but the fight continues. Jenny describes her feelings like this,

” I had a brief moment or two of grief, but otherwise have felt completely peaceful and calm. I know that cancer is my refining fire. It is my companion now, and I don’t have to be afraid of it .  It brings me to my knees . . . and that is when I can stand tallest “.  I have definitely gained more perspective than I ever dreamed of. The most powerful thing which has changed me for good has been practicing gratitude. I had a cancer survivor suggest to me that I take “gratitude walks” as often as I could—to use as prayer if desired—and to think of nothing I want, but only focus on the things I am thankful for. It is a powerful, life-changing practice, I can tell you that. I am grateful for my cancer journey, as I believe it has helped me become a better person. As I say (in my book-in-progress), Cancer does not define me, but it refines me.”

With friends and family in her corner (her army of angels), Jenny was able to make a small dent in the funds needed to fight this battle. But the fight isn’t over even though the battle will be won. Go to Jenny's blog site to donate here .
or check out Jenny’s shirts  http://www.foreverisbetter.com/  and support Jenny in her fight against breast cancer.
I look forward to reading Jenny’s, soon to be published,  book entitled…you guessed it…”No Pouting, No Doubting”. 

DML

No comments:

Post a Comment